This is just a quick wee idea i came up with for a savoury and sweet sunday brunch or a quick breakfast snack and wanted to share. I came across jus rolls canned croissant pastry and wanted to make my own savoury croissants and they turned out INCREDIBLE. I know I could make the pastry myself but that would defeat the whole purpose of them being quick 😛 Ridiculously easy to do, if you can’t find the readymade croissant pastry puff pastry would be delicious too, and the filling possibilites are endless – I’m already planning turkey brie and cranberry sauce ones for christmas! 🙂 the nutella french toast pretty much speaks for itself.
Makes 6 croissants:
- 1 can jus roll croissant pastry
- 1 packet of good pork sausages
- 1 jar tomato relish (I used ballymaloe)
- Parchment paper.
Makes French Toast for 2:
- 4 slices of bread.
- 2 small/1 medium egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter
- Fresh strawberries/blueberries/banana
- Maple syrup
It really is ridiculously simple:
- Preheat your oven to 200° (180° for fan assisted ovens).
- Obviously a good start is to open your can of pastry…or let it burst out of it’s can, PASTRY MAD PASTRY SMASH
- Unroll it onto a clean work surface and slice into 6 triangles. (mines were scalene, boom.)
- Cover ever triangle with a generous spread of your relish of choice.
- Fry 6 sausages in a little olive oil until well cooked, then pat dry with kitchen roll.
- Carefully roll each sausage up in a triangle of pastry. It being my first time cooking these I tried both ways – rolling from the smaller end and from the larger end – and found they turned out much more croissant like if rolled starting from the larger end. Of course the only picture I have is of me rolling from the wrong end but ah well…
- Once all six are ready place them on some parchment paper on a baking tray and place in the middle shelf of the preheated oven, setting the timer for 12 minutes. (If using a fan oven rotate the tray halfway through to ensure they cook evenly)
- While the croissants are cooking heat a frying pan to medium heat.
- Lightly toast your bread and set aside. Toasting it will ensure your french toast doesnt go soggy.
- Crack your egg(s) into a bowl and add the milk and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together.
- Slather nutella all over 2 slices of bread and top with the other two slices, so you’re left with two sandwiches.
- Dunk the sandwiches in the egg mixture one at a time and smoosh it all over the bread with your hands. I really don’t know how else to word that…
- Now add your butter to your frying pan and fry your sandwiches for app. 1 1/2 – 2 minutes on each side.
- Remove to plates, cut in half and slice your strawberries over your sandwiches. Top with a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Your croissants should be just about ready so remove from the oven and plate up. As per usual I was too eager to eat to remember to take a picture of it all together…but you get the idea.
Serve with freshly squeezed orange juice or mimosas. Because it’s ok to drink before 12 if it’s mimosas.